NLP works with "what presents" and utilises "bespoke" patterns to allow the client to move forward. NLP works with where a person is now, is content free and does not require constant conscious application - or rituals or affirmations to "daily rituals". With New Code NLP change is quite subtle, therefore elegantly applied in business, negotiation, organizational development and corporate change work as well as in personal change work.
We have found that New Code NLP enables practitioners to engage the autonomous system in a person, which is fantastic for athletes and people under pressure or in stressful situations. New Code NLP enables the client to fully engage the unconscious mind (without the practitioner installing signals or using hypnosis) to come up with resources to facilitate changes that will work for a client ecologically. An NLP coach is not an adviser. A Life Coach is often an adviser. At Future Now we utilise both NLP and Life Coaching practices, dependent upon the needs of the client or business.
We are trained in both Classic and New Code NLP patterns and principles. All NLP practitioners are trained to suspend their personal beliefs when working with clients. While the subject of beliefs is studied in most Life Coaching certifications, it explores the types of beliefs and the effects of those beliefs, rather than the structure and effect of the beliefs of the client you are working with.
There are certain presuppositions underlying NLP. Some of these are as follows.
- The meaning of a communication is the response you get.
- The map is not the territory.
- Language is a secondary representation of experience.
- Mind and body are parts of the same cybernetic system and affect each other.
- The law of requisite variety (also known as the first law of cybernetics - cybernetics is the science of systems and controls in animals, including humans, and machines) states that in any cybernetic system the element or person in the system with the widest range of behaviours or variability of choice will control the system.
- Behaviour is geared towards adaptation.
- Present behaviour represents the very best choice available to a person.
- 'Possible in the world' or 'possible for me' is only a matter of how.
- It is useful to make a distinction between behaviour and self. A person is not their behaviour.
- There is no such thing as failure; there is only feedback.
- Ecology within a system or person is a prerequisite for elegant and lasting change. This considers the consequences, results or impact of any change that occurs on the wider system in multiple contexts.
- Listening is more important than talking
- What motivates people must be understood
- Everyone is capable of achieving more
- A person's past is no indication of their future
- People's beliefs about what is possible for themselves are their only limits
- A coach must always provide full support
- Coaches don't provide the answers
- Coaching does not include criticising people
- All coaching is completely confidential
- Some people's needs cannot be met by coaching, and coaches recognize clients with these needs.
Wikipedia explains.. " Managing is making sure people do what they know how to do. Training is teaching people to do what they don’t know how to do. Mentoring is showing people how the people who are really good at doing something do it. Coaching is none of these – it is helping to identify the skills and capabilities that are within the person, and enabling them to use them to the best of their ability." NLP is often used therapeutically, and has evolved into communication and change management applications across many fields.
Future Now engages people who have life coaching and/or NLP qualifications, and have found that while NLP usually gets immediate results, the principles of life coaching facilitate a journey for the client.